Sunday, September 8, 2013

Tomato Basil Bread & Spread

"Everything Tomato" is the theme for our Garden Club meeting tomorrow and since the meeting is at my home I wanted to make some bread.  This is what I came up with after remaking a favorite bread recipe and substituting fresh tomatoes and my favorite fresh garden herbs.   Sure hope it turns out!?

9-22-2013  This has been a hit!!!  I have been making this often while the tomatoes are plentiful!!!

Yesterday I used this dough for my pizza crust.  It made enough for a cookie sheet and a half sized cookie sheet.  I sprayed the pans.  Patted out the dough and baked it at 375 for 10 minutes.  Then I used 16 oz. tomato sauce, Italian Seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, basil oregano, salt & pepper for my sauce.  Sprinkled with cheese and canadian bacon and basil.  Baked 15 more minutes.  It turned out great!!  And the tomato lovers garnished it will fresh sliced tomatoes.

    TOMATO BASIL BREAD
    1/2 c. warm milk - microwave 30 seconds
    1-2 ripe tomatoes, pureed (1/2 c.)  I use 3- 4th of July Tomatoes.....they are small and juicy
    1 egg
    2 T. oil
    1/2 t. salt
    1 T. sugar
    2 T. fresh basil, minced
    1 T. fresh chives, minced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 t. fresh oregano, minced
    3 rounded c. bread flour
    1 scant T. yeast
    GARLIC CHIVE SPREAD
    1/2 c. butter, softened
    1 T. fresh chives, minced
    1 garlic clove, minced
    Place bread ingredients in bread machine pan in order listed.   Check dough after 5 minutes of mixing, add 1 to 2 T. water or flour if needed.  Bake in bread machine or remove dough, form into 2 artisan loaves and bake in oven at 375 for 20 minutes.  
    In bowl, combine spread ingredients. Serve with bread. 

No comments:

Lacey Making Teddy Bear Cookies