Sunday, March 31, 2013

Easter Ham....

HaPpY EasTeR!!  I cooked one of our home grown Hams for Easter Dinner today....it turned out great!!!

Easter Ham
6 to 8 lb. Ham
Mix together in large roasting pan:
1 cup orange juice
12 oz. can 7up
1 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. white vinegar
1 t. dry mustard
1 t. ginger
Place ham in roaster and pour marinade over ham to baste.  Cover and bake at 300 (1/2 hour/lb.).  Baste occasionally during baking.
Make this dipping sauce while ham is baking.
Stir together in saucepan:
1 egg
5 T. water
5 T. vinegar
Add:
1/4 c. sugar
1 T. flour
1 T. dry mustard
1/4 t. celery seed
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
Cook & stir over med. heat until thick.  Cover with lid and set aside to cool to room temperature.
Beat 1/2 c. whipping cream until stiff peaks form
When egg mixture is cooled fold in whipped cream.  Chill and serve with ham.

I made a few adjustments to my recipe above.... from the Pinterest recipe.....I like how it turned out!!!  I liked the dipping sauce and think it would make a great sandwich spread too.  I also cooked a turkey today and it was good on the turkey too.  The ham had great flavor and I think next time I will allow the ham to marinate in the marinade for a few hours or overnight.  I will definitely do this again.  The sauce is good but not totally necessary.  I started baking this at 300....after about an hour I turned my oven up to 325 and then the last hour I turned it up to 350.  My ham weighed just under 7 lbs. and it took almost 3 1/2 hours to bake. I think the lower temperature would be best but I needed it to get done sooner than that.

No comments:

Lacey Making Teddy Bear Cookies