Saturday, June 4, 2011

Steel Cut Oatmeal

My friend Marcia got me started on Steel Cut Oatmeal when we went camping a couple years ago.  She puts this in her crock pot (be sure and spray it with cooking spray before adding ingredients) the night before on low and it is ready in the morning.  But I never can remember the correct portions.....so I am posting them here so they are always handy.  I found some good tips too......posted at the bottom!
Steel Cut Oatmeal
For one serving:  1 1/2 cups water  and 1/4 cup oats  For four servings or more: Use 1 cup of water per 1/4 cup oats for each serving  (i.e. 4 cups water/1 cup oats for four servings)
Bring water to boil in a saucepan.  Stir in oats and immediately reduce heat to low.  Watch carefully, because the water might foam up and boil over!  (If using an electric stove, and the water foams up before the burner cools down enough, briefly lift the pan off the heat and the foam will subside).  Simmer uncovered over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 25-30 minutes or until oats are of desired texture.
Notes: If making ahead with plans to reheat, I cook the oats for only 20-25 minutes. I like to add a tiny pinch of salt when I add the oats to the water, but this is entirely optional.  If you want to add dried fruit while the oatmeal is cooking, add a bit of extra water.  I like to cook 8 servings at a time:  I let the oatmeal cool slightly then divide into 8 small plastic containers, which can be refrigerated for up to one week.  To reheat, add a splash of milk or water, then microwave until heated through.  Stir and serve plain or with desired toppings.  The oatmeal can also be frozen and reheated.


ONLINE TIPS:  Another way to enjoy them is with a big dallop of plain greek yogurt and a drizzle of pure maple syrup. It is out of this world. 
I have a good way of cutting down the cooking time – as I do cook mine every morning.   I measure out my oats and water at night before bed, and let them sit on the stove. Then in the morning I just turn on the burner and let them start cooking. It takes about 10-15 minutes for them to finish this way.
Also, with all oatmeal I make, steel cut or otherwise, I always add the oats at the beginning before heating the water. They come out creamier and cook a bit more evenly I find.
My favorite way to eat them is cooked with juice instead of milk or water and then with some dried fruit thrown in. Apple juice with dried cranberries is this week’s flavor!
 Another way: I use 1/3 cup steel cut oatmeal and 1-1/3 cup water and a pinch of salt. Then I put them in the microwave on 50% for 18 minutes and take my shower. When I come out they oatmeal is done. I chop up some banana and some blueberries with about a heaping tsp of sugar, mix it all up and dive in. Delicious!
Actually steel cut oats is not all that much more expensive. Rolled oats are cooked at the ratio of 2 parts water to 1 part oats. Steel cut is cooked at the ratio of 4 parts water to 1 parts oats. Therefore you need twice as much of a measure of rolled oats to get the same amount of oats after cooking. If you put that into the cost analysis, then steel cut oats if very little more than rolled oats and really tastes a whole lot better. Worth the difference.
I pack up my oatmeal this way each week. If I accidentally make more then 5 servings I throw the others in the freezer. I love mine with a sprinkle of flax (good for the knees) and frozen blueberries.
 tend to make them into a whole meal with cinnamon, dried fruit, apples, nuts or seeds, flax and a little sweetener. I also shorten the cooking time by using a pressure cooker. It takes only 3 minutes at pressure.
You can read about it here http://pressurecooking.blogspot.com/2009/05/pressure-cooking-steel-cut-oats.html.

No comments:

Lacey Making Teddy Bear Cookies