Saturday, May 1, 2010

Double Delight Peanut Butter Cookies

Here is what $1 Million Dollars tastes like.......
The 2008 Pillsbury Bake Off Winner by Carolyn Gurtz!!!
98% out of 154 people said they would make these cookies again.

When Connor and I made them I found I needed more filling for the center balls. Next time I would use 1 c. peanut butter and 1 c. powdered sugar instead of 1/2 c. of each. Connor and Great Grandpa Atkinson really liked them!!!

DOUBLE DELIGHT PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES
1/4 cup Peanuts, finely chopped  (originally called for dry roasted, I don't like dry roasted)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup JIF® Creamy Peanut Butter (I use 1 c.)
1/2 cup powdered sugar  (I use 1 c.)
1 roll (16.5 oz) Pillsbury® refrigerated peanut butter cookies, well chilled  OR   make the Peanut Butter Cookie Recipe on pg. 175 of the Atkinson Cookbook and use 2 1/2 c. peanut butter & powdered sugar for the filling & drizzle with melted chocolate  (see details below)
DIRECTIONS
Heat oven to 375°F. In small bowl, mix chopped peanuts, granulated sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
In another small bowl, stir peanut butter and powdered sugar until completely blended. Shape mixture into 24 (1-inch) balls.  (1/2 a scoop with my smallest cookie scoop)
Cut roll of cookie dough into 12 slices. Cut each slice in half crosswise to make 24 pieces; flatten slightly. Shape 1 cookie dough piece around 1 peanut butter ball, covering completely. Repeat with remaining dough and balls.
Roll each covered ball in peanut mixture; gently pat mixture completely onto balls. On ungreased large cookie sheets, place balls 2 inches apart. Spray bottom of drinking glass with CRISCO® Original No-Stick Cooking Spray; press into remaining peanut mixture. Flatten each ball to 1/2-inch thickness with bottom of glass. Sprinkle any remaining peanut mixture evenly on tops of cookies; gently press into dough.
Bake 7 to 12 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheets to cooling rack. Store tightly covered.

Now when I make these I use Craig's recipe for Peanut Butter Cookies found in the Atkinson Cookbook on page 175.  This makes a big batch so when I make the filling for the middle I use about 2 1/2 c. peanut butter and 2 1/2 c. powdered sugar.  I roll them into balls using 1/2 a scoop of my smallest cookie scoop.  I don't usually add the peanuts.  They are good but don't seem to stay on the cookies real well.  These are a bit time consuming but they are very good.  Last time I melted a few chocolate chips, stirred in a little oil to thin it and then put it in my pastry bag, then I drizzled a little chocolate over the top of them.  It was a great finishing touch!!

No comments:

Lacey Making Teddy Bear Cookies