Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Microwave Caramels.....aka: 6 or 7 Minute Caramels

Well I think I may have just found MY FAVORITE RECIPE for 2011!!!!
Are you ready for this????
5 ingredients and 6 or 7 minutes and you have the most delicious CARAMELS you have ever tasted!!!
If you love caramels like I do.....you won't want to miss out on this recipe.
I think Lacey will love this as much as I do!!   She has been asking to make caramels for a couple of months now, but we just haven't found an hour to make them.  In 15 minutes I made 2 batches of these!!

Here is the link to this recipe:
www.food.com/recipe/microwave-caramels-367414
There are lots of reviews with more ways to use this recipe so you may want to check it out!!

Microwave Caramels (7 Minute Caramels) or DOUBLE the recipe (14 Minute Caramels)
Combine in a 2 quart bowl (or larger):
1/4 c. butter
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. light Karo corn syrup
1/2 c. sweetened condensed milk
Microwave on high for 6 minutes - stirring every 2 minutes.
Pour into buttered 8 x 8 glass pan.  Cool. Cut. Wrap in waxed paper.
Store in air tight container.

NOTE:  when it says to microwave for 2 minutes.....I always push 2:22 instead of 2:00.....it is just what I do....  for the double batch = 3:33 minutes 4 times stirring every 3:33.

 Nov. 8, 2012
Today, I found this nifty idea on Facebook, for no mess caramel apples that I think this recipe would work great for....
Cut an apple in half, core it and hollow it making a nice sized cavity, pour the caramel into this cavity, when caramel has set up, cut into slices and serve.....

I also developed a Salted Caramel Cheesecake recipe using this recipe as part of the cheesecake.  It is a huge hit at my house.

Also today while teaching a Gifts from the Kitchen class I was sharing this recipe and a lady there asked if I thought this recipe could work to make turtles.....I am fairly certain that it would.....now I want to try it out.

One more tip for you.....my friend, was making these and she didn't have an 8x8 pan and so she decided to double the recipe to fill her 9x13 pan.  Well she didn't think about the fact that you would need to increase the cooking time.  Her caramels still tasted great but you had to lick them off the waxed paper.   Everytime I make these I end up making 2 batches because I want to use up the whole can of sweetened condensed milk.....So.....I think I am going to have to play with this recipe a little more, because it would be nice to double it and be done a little faster.

As you can see.....I use this recipe a lot........and.......I sure do love this recipe!!!  It just might be my favorite 2 years in a row!!!

April 26, 2013
Well I was making these last week and forgot and dumped in the whole can of sweetened condensed milk....so I had to double the recipe.   They turned out great!!!  I microwaved them about 3:33 then stirred them and did that 4 times (for a total of about 14 minutes).  I did drop some in a cup of cold water to test them just to make sure.  I am so happy to know I can do this and they will turn out!!!

No comments:

Lacey Making Teddy Bear Cookies