Saturday, December 17, 2011

Grape Syrup.....for Christmas Breakfast

Dad is coming for Breakfast on Christmas Morning.  It is so hard to find something he can eat these days.  Pancakes are about the only thing he asks for anymore.  So I am thinking this recipe will be the perfect way to perk up his pancakes on Christmas Morning.  Gonna give it a try.....
It says this is delicious served over ice cream or on pancakes.....his 2 favorites!!  hope he likes it!

Grape Syrup
1 1/4 c. grape juice
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. corn syrup
1 T. lemon juice
Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan.  Bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute.
Remove from heat and skim off the foam.  Cool and store in the refrigerator.
Now that I have made this......Use a 4 qt. saucepan and boil for 4 minutes, while stirring.

OR for my second batch I did this:

place in 4 qt. saucepan:
1 1/2 c. sugar
2 heaping T. regular clear jel
whisk together and add:
1 1/2 c. grape juice
1/4 c. corn syrup
1 t. lemon juice
Cook over high heat stirring occasionally.  Once mixture reaches a full boil cook for 2 minutes while stirring.

Dad did really like this Grape Syrup on his Christmas Pancakes.  He took a bottle of it home with him.  I prefer the second recipe where I added the clear jel.  This was the perfect consistency for syrup.  I think I will try some other flavors too.  Dad really likes apricots and I have some apricot juice that would work perfect for this too!

No comments:

Lacey Making Teddy Bear Cookies