Friday, October 21, 2011

Mint Water...


I came across a great tip in my online reading:  mint water! To make it, add a couple sprigs of fresh mint to a container of water and let it sit at room temperature overnight. Simple and delicious!
I grow mint in a pot because it spreads so quickly that when planted in the ground it can become a pest. Growing it in a pot contains it and gives you fresh mint whenever you want it.
I had tried making fresh mint tea before, but it always came out strong and bitter. So I was delighted to come across the suggestion to just let it sit in water for several hours at room temperature. It keeps the flavor soft and delicate. I actually prefer drinking it at room temperature as well, but it would also be good chilled.
Adding a little flavor to water can make it easier to drink more. 
Mostly I like it because it is so refreshing. Try it!
Here are a few other ideas for Mint Water that I ran across......
Mint tea- use only the leaves – the stems are bitter.
 I am a herb grower and a lover of herbs. I like to rinse my mouth out with mint water. Makes a wonderful mouthwash, too!!!


Mint-Water has lot of health benefits as it contains lot of nutrients, it contains vitamins and minerals and it can build your immune health.
I make 1 gallon of mint water at a time. I use it as a final rinse in my hair after conditioning. I don’t rinse it out. I also put some in a spritz bottle and use it on dry hair, or as a refreshing pick-me-up on my face and arms (be sure to close your eyes!).


plant some chocolate mint or lemon mint too


here's a good website with more information....    
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=102

  • All you do is pick a handful of mint, pull off the leaves, and rinse them.
  • Roll the leaves around between your palms to bruise them.
  • Place the leaves in the bottom of a pitcher.
  • Then, fill the pitcher with spring water.
  • Cover and refrigerate the mint water for several hours.

Cucumber Water Recipe

In order for the cucumber to fully release its juice, you need to prepare it the day before your event.
Ingredients:
  • 1 cucumber, sliced and unpeeled + 6-7 cucumber slices for decoration
  • 1 1/2 to 2 liters of water
  • 3 mint sprigs + 2 mint sprigs for decoration
  • Half a lemon, sliced and unpeeled
  • Ice cubes
In a pitcher, mix the water, cucumber, 3 mint sprigs and lemon. Let it rest on the fridge for 24 hours. If you prepare the water at the last minute, cut the first cucumber in three or four pieces. Then, squeeze the cucumber pieces to release all the juice.
Before serving remove the cucumber slices used to flavor the water. Then stir with a wooden spoon, add some ice cubes,  6 or 7 fresh cucumber slices and the remaining 2 mint sprigs. Enjoy this refreshing drink.
An actual mint water recipe....

2 cups fresh mint leaves (I like to use spearmint. I find peppermint to be a little too strong.)
1 gallon water
ice
Bruise the mint leaves with the back of a spoon.

Put the mint in a gallon of fresh, cool water and chill in the refrigerator overnight.

Serve it strained, over ice.

This will keep in the refrigerator for about one week.







No comments:

Lacey Making Teddy Bear Cookies