Monday, November 19, 2012

Caramel Shortbread.....

I found this Caramel Shortbread recipe that looked amazing.  I think it would work great with my Microwave Caramel recipe.  Have I ever mentioned that I love caramels??

Caramel Shortbread
for the shortbread layer:
10 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg yolk
1-2/3 cups flour
Line an 8×8″ pan with parchment paper, leaving some hanging over the sides to make removal easier.
In a large bowl, combine the butter, sugar, and salt with a pastry cutter or fork. Add the egg yolk and continue mixing.
Add the flour and use your hands to combine the dough until coarse crumbs form. Transfer the dough into the prepared pan and press it down into one even layer.
Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake for 25 minutes, until slightly golden brown. Set aside to cool.
I would top this with my Microwave Caramels....but only cook them 6 minutes instead of 7 minutes so they are a little softer.  Pour caramel mixture over the top of the baked and cooled shortbread.
Refrigerate for at least 3 hours, then sprinkle with sea salt and cut into squares. Store caramels in the fridge until  serving time.

No comments:

Lacey Making Teddy Bear Cookies