Thursday, January 5, 2012

White Beans and Ham

Through the years I have developed this recipe.  I make these for Steve to take to work for the crew every once in a while.  I did that this week and decided that this crumpled recipe should be put here for safekeeping.

White Beans and Ham
Soak overnight 1 lb. of small white beans (can use up to 2 lbs. in my large crock pot - approx. 2 cups = 1 lb.)
Place beans in crock pot covered with water.
Add:
1 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1 T. ham base or bouillon
1 t. garlic powder
1/4 c. dried onions
1/2 t. dry mustard
2 T. apple cider vinegar (helps make them not so gasey?)
1 can of chicken broth or bouillon
1 ham bone or ham pieces
Cook in crock pot for 4 to 6 hours on High or 8 to 10 hours on Low.
1 hour before serving time:  remove the ham bone and remove meat and break into pieces.  Drain off some of the water, if needed ( I try to make sure I don't add too much water to start with so that I don't have to drain off all my flavor).  Stir in the ham pieces and add:  1 can of evaporated milk.  This thickens it and makes it creamy and good.  You don't have to add this but this is my secret ingredient.  Cook about 30 to 40 minutes more.  Serve with cornbread.  Steve has to have fresh onion and dill pickles chopped up in his too.

If you use 2 lbs. of beans I would double the seasonings but 1 can of evaporated milk will probably still be enough.

No comments:

Lacey Making Teddy Bear Cookies