Monday, March 5, 2012

Cleaning......everyday stuff

I've found a few new things that work really well  and thought I better post them before I forget them.

Laundry Stain Remover.....I have used Fels Naptha Bar Soap as my stain remover for as long as I can remember.  It is cheap and it works way better than anything I have purchased for this purpose.  I used to give all my 4-H girls a bar when we learned about clothing care in sewing 4-H.  You just simply get the clothing/stain wet and rub it with the bar of soap.  Leave it or wash immediately.  It works for everything except those crazy armpit stains.  So here is what you do for those......After rubbing in the Fels Naptha make a solution of 1 part Dawn Dishsoap and 2 parts Hydrogen Peroxide.  Pour on stain and scrub with a brush.....if you still need more scrubbing action.....sprinkle with baking soda and scrub a bit more.  Let set for at least an hour and then wash as usual.

Soap Scum Remover......For years I have used Old English Lemon Oil to clean my showers, faucets and  countertops; along with my wood furniture.  It does a great job and helps to prevent water spots.  But sometimes when you have really hard water you need something more.  I have searched and searched and bought different products only to wish I hadn't wasted my money.  I finally found something that works and it is cheap and easy to make.  In a 16 oz. spray bottle pour in 1/2 cup of Dawn Dishsoap. Heat one cup of white vinegar in the microwave for 1 minute and pour it into the spray bottle.  Shake well and spray on to surface to be cleaned.  Scrub with a scotch brite pad, old toothbrush or scrub brush.  Rinse and then wipe with lemon oil or Carnu-B Wax.
If you haven't used Carnu-B Wax and you have hard water you might want to try it.  It puts on a protective wax coating that will last for 6 months (the lemon oil does the same thing but it doesn't last as long).  Can be used of painted surfaces, metals, glass, fiberglass and chrome.  Yes, it was made to be a car wax but it is much more than that.  You can find it at:
 www.carnu-b.com

for whiter whites.....add 1/2 c. washing soda   and/or  1/2 c. hydrogen peroxide

Glass Cook Top Cleaner.......this works way better than CeramaBryte Cleaner.  Sprinkle with baking soda, dampen with water to make a paste,  scrub with a scotch brite pad.  This also works on the window on the inside of your oven (You will need to let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes before scrubbing it).  Baking soda is also great for cleaning your toilet (sprinkle and let sit 1 hour).....and many other things too!

Happy Cleaning!!!

No comments:

Lacey Making Teddy Bear Cookies