Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake

This one is for Kasey's next birthday.....maybe we will try it before then?? Whenever we come across a cheesecake recipe we always think of Kasey. He loves cheesecake. I can get him to do about anything for me if I promise him cheesecake. Anyway Lisa found this recipe and left it on my desk with a note that said, "KASEY'S BIRTHDAY CAKE PLEASE!!!" So before I lose it in this mess of papers I am going to post it so I can find it when the time comes to make it.

July 2010 - Well I did actually make this for Kasey's Birthday this year. It was a hit!!! Lisa actually made 2 boxes of his all time favorite boxed Jello Cheesecake just to make sure he got enough cheesecake. Much to her dismay....the graham crackers or something was rancid and she had to throw it all away. And NO they were not old, she just bought them the week before. So it was a good thing I had made this Cheesecake and that it was good.

I think this recipe has lots of possibilities!! It is a definite keeper!! Baking the cheesecake in water really made it creamy and wonderful. Before when I have baked cheesecakes I felt like the texture was weird and dry...not this one!!

Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake
1 1/2 c. cream filled chocolate sandwich cookie crumbs
2 T. melted, butter
4 - 8 oz. pkgs. cream cheese, softened
1 1/4 c. sugar
1 c. sour cream
1 t. vanilla
3 eggs, lightly beaten
9 oz. semi-sweet chocolate pieces (1 1/2 c.)
1/2 c. raspberry jam
TOPPING - (AKA: Ganache)
6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate pieces (I prefer milk chocolate - 1 c.)
1/3 c. heavy whipping cream (I added 1 T. corn syrup & 1/2 t. vanilla)
optional: fresh raspberries & whipped cream OR make a raspberry sauce
Place a greased 9 in. springform pan on a double layer of heavy duty foil. Securely wrap foil around pan.
Combine cookie crumbs and butter, press into bottom of prepared pan.
In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in sour cream and vanilla. Add eggs, beat on low just until combined. Set aside 1 1/2 cups of batter and pour remaining batter over crust.
In a microwave bowl melt chocolate on 50% power stirring every minute until melted. Stir in jam until well blended. Stir in reserved batter just until blended. Drop by tablespoonfuls over the plain batter - do NOT swirl. (NEXT TIME I THINK I WILL SWIRL IT) Place springform pan in a large baking pan and fill large outer pan with 1inch of hot water.
Bake at 325 for 65 to 75 minutes or until center is just set and top appears dull. Remove springform pan from water bath. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen, cool 1 hour longer.
For topping place, chocolate pieces in small bowl. In a saucepan heat cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate, whisk until smooth. Cool slightly. Spread over top of cheesecake. Refrigerate overnight. Garnish with raspberries and whipped cream and serve.
HaPpY BirThDay KaSeY!!!!!!!!

August 2010 - I made it again.  This time I did swirl in the chocolate.  Just make sure you swirl carefully so as not to disturb the crust.  I also made a raspberry sauce to pour over it.  I used milk chocolate this time and it didn't melt as good as the semi-sweet and it wasn't pretty and shiny like before.....but it was yummy!!

No comments:

Lacey Making Teddy Bear Cookies