Sunday, August 1, 2021

Pie Filling....for canning

This is another recipe of Mom's recipes that my friend, Sherri Walton shared with me a few years ago, that she has used for years.  Not sure why I didn't have this. It is a little more specific than the one in the cookbook.   

Pie Filling.....Blackberry, Apple or Peach

Place in large canning kettle:

3 1/2 qts. water

8 to 10 c. sugar (I start with 8, add more to taste if needed)

3 c. regular clear jel (Mixed with 2 to 3 c. water from above amount)

4 t. cinnamon

1 t. nutmeg

1 1/2 t. salt

1/4 c. lemon juice (optional, I added this)

Stir and bring to a boil until thick and clear.  See below** or Stir in 5 gallon of fruit, I use blackberries, apples, or peaches.  Continue to cook a few more minutes.  Pour into jars leaving a 1" headspace.  Process in a boiling water bath timing according to elevation chart below.  

0 to 1000 feet elevation = 25 minutes

1001 to 3000 = 30 minutes

3001 to 6000 = 35 minutes

above 6001 = 40 minutes 

Makes about 14 to 18 quarts

**You can add 1 1/2 c. of the thickening to each quart jar and then add fruit to fill each jar.  I found it hard to mix them together in the jar. 



No comments:

Lacey Making Teddy Bear Cookies