Monday, September 12, 2016

Cucumber Tomato Salad & Tomato Basil Bread

Tonight is Garden Club at my house and the focus is on Tomatoes!!  I am making this to share....

Cucumber Tomato Salad
For the salad:
Approximately 3 cups peeled & sliced cucumbers
3 cups of Juliet & Sun Sugar tomatoes or whatever you have
1/3 c. chopped red onion
1/4 c. chopped fresh basil (I used sweet basil and lime basil)
For the dressing:
1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
3/4 c. apple cider vinegar
1/2 T. red wine vinegar
1/2 t. dill weed
1 t. sugar
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper

Place salad ingredients in large bowl and toss.
Mix dressing ingredients in small bowl; stir to combine well & drizzle over salad.
I kept the dressing separate.


TOMATO BASIL BREAD
1/2 c. warm milk - microwave 30 seconds
1/2 c. pureed ripe tomatoes (blend in blender with the garlic & herbs)

2 T. fresh basil, minced
1 T. fresh chives, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 t. fresh oregano, minced
1 egg
2 T. oil
1/2 t. salt
1 T. sugar
3 c. slightly rounded, bread flour
1  T. yeast
GARLIC CHIVE SPREAD
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 T. fresh chives, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
Place bread ingredients in bread machine pan in order listed.   Check dough after 5 minutes of mixing, add 1 to 2 T. water or flour if needed.  Bake in bread machine or remove dough, form into 2 artisan loaves and bake in oven at 375 for 20 minutes.  
In bowl, combine spread ingredients. Serve with bread. 

I also used this dough to make pizza crust.  It made enough for a cookie sheet and a half sized cookie sheet.  I sprayed the pans.  Patted out the dough and baked it at 375 for 10 minutes.  Then I used 16 oz. tomato sauce, Italian Seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, basil, oregano, salt & pepper for my sauce.  Sprinkled with cheese and canadian bacon and basil or pizza seasoning.  Baked 15 more minutes.  It turned out great!!  And the tomato lovers garnished it with fresh sliced tomatoes. 

** So I can make this all year round I puree my tomatoes and herbs together and freeze them in little jars.  

    

No comments:

Lacey Making Teddy Bear Cookies