Saturday, September 1, 2012

Canning......Salsa

I shared this information with a friend and decided I should post it here too.

Here is the handout I had shared with her.....that led to more information and this post.
Diane wrote back....
It looks yummy - is it ok to can it? (water bath?)
It is funny - most recipes I find make like only 8 pints at a time - 
Most of us are used to doing a lot more than that - :)
ya know...if you're going to make the mess - you might as well do a lot!
thanks for sharing the recipe. If you come across one that uses tomatoes too - I would love it.
have a great day.

Hi Diane,
The recipe I gave you could be frozen but not canned as it is not a tested recipe for canning.  I did a little research for you......here is a tested and approved list of salsa recipes for you


There was a Peach Apple Salsa recipe listed for water bath canning...and it has tomatoes in it too.  Lots of good recipes on this bulletin.  When looking up recipes online for canning.....make sure that they are from a site that contains .edu  or .org in the address.  Most .com sites are just common folks who might be sharing their favorite canning tips/recipes but they are NOT TESTED and APPROVED.  THESE ARE NOT SAFE!!!!  It is scary what kind of liability they are putting on their heads and they probably do not even know it.  
As for big batches....I understand.....making one mess.  Just be sure you are following a recipe and not changing the main ingredients.  It's ok to change the spices and such but the fruits and vegetables should be carefully measured or the recipe is not tested and approved anymore.  Hope this makes sense.  
Sorry if this is more information than you wanted.  It is my Mom's fault.  I now understand her passion much more as I recently completed the Master Food Preserver course too.  
Happy Canning,
Karla

Diane wrote back......
I love it! Definitely not too much info.! I remember your mom looking at the salsa recipe I was using several years ago - and she told me to up the vinegar or add lime juice. 
Thanks for the info. I was wondering how many of the recipes I have found are just somebodies creation....that is scary!
Thanks again.
Diane

No comments:

Lacey Making Teddy Bear Cookies