Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Fruity Pancake Syrup........and Queezeable Honey Butter

Karla, Do you know how to make fruit syrup for pancakes? I found a recipe online and you add poilet paper to it. I didn't think that would go over too well with Toby. I don't know if I would want to eat something with toilet paper in it either. Weird. Alisha

Alisha, Actually I do have this recipe that I've been meaning to try.

Huckleberry Sauce
2 c. huckleberries or any kind of berries
1/3 c. sugar
2 T. lemon juice
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat & simmer for 5 to 8 minutes. (I'm not sure but I think you would need to add some water to this? and then I would strain the berries after cooking so I had a nice clear syrup)
Then mix together:
2 T. cornstarch or clear jel
1 T. water
Slowly add to the huckleberry mixture and continue to cook til thickened.

Also in the Atkinson cookbook on page 59 there is a "Rich Maple Sauce". I think you could use any flavor of extract instead of maple and it would be good????
Also on page 94 "Strawberry Topping" is a great recipe for a fruit sauce. If you don't want fruit in it you can leave out the berries.

Also on the same piece of paper I wrote down this idea for Easy Squeeze Honey Butter.
1 bottle of squeezeable margarine - Remove about 1/4 from the bottle and then add 1/4 c. honey. Stir well and then simply squeeze onto biscuits, toast, cornbread, etc.
I wrote these down when I was at the hotel in Denver. I think I was watching the Paula Dean cooking show. She does have a web site that probably has the actually recipes if you have any questions.

Anyway hope this gives you some ideas....let me know what you do and how it turns out.
I don't think I would put toilet paper in anything I was going to eat?? Was it maybe wanting you to use toilet paper to strain it or something and then throw it away??? Strange!!!
Good luck! Aunt Karla

From: Alisha Youngberg
Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2009 3:14 PM
Subject: Re: syrup
For the "Strawberry Topping" in the cookbook, can you substitute cornstarch for clear jel? Is it a 1:1 ratio?

Yes you should be fine using cornstarch. It may take a little more. The advantage to clear jel is that it will not separate or change texture even when refrigerated.
I do have another recipe that I used to use before I got this one. and it does call for cornstarch.
Here it is.....
Strawberry Pie (an old recipe from Margaret Vickery)
1 3 oz. box Strawberry Jello
2 c. water or juice from strawberries
1/2 c. sugar
2 T. cornstarch (heaping)
strawberries
Mix together the first 4 ingredients and boil. Let sit until real thick. Add berries and put in pie shell. Refrigerate until set up. Serve topped with whipped cream.
I used this recipe in place of Danish Dessert. Which is what I always used to use for a filling for cake.

No comments:

Lacey Making Teddy Bear Cookies