Friday, October 10, 2008

Butternut Squash

This year we grew a BIG garden (that we call the farm) in addition to our regular garden. Steve planted all kinds of squash and so I had to figure out how to cook them. The butternut squash are really hard to cut into. So, I scrubbed one up and poked a few holes in it and popped the whole thing in the microwave. I cooked it for about 15 minutes. Then I easily cut it in half, scooped out the seeds, peeled off the skin and mashed the rest with my potatoe masher. Then I added some butter and maple syrup and mashed it in. Sprinkled in some salt and pepper. Microwave a few more minutes to heat through. Then I added a little more butter and drizzled maple syrup over the top as a garnish and it was ready. Steve came in about the time I was drizzling on the maple syrup. He wasn't sure about my culinary efforts until he tasted it. It didn't take him long to say, "this squash is GOOD".
For variety you could use brown sugar or honey instead of the maple syrup.

No comments:

Lacey Making Teddy Bear Cookies