Thursday, January 9, 2020

Family Favorite Oatmeal Cookies

This was my first 4-H recipe when I was 8. Mom cut the recipe in half to make it easier for me when I gave my 4-H demonstration.  Mom and I added "Family Favorite" to the recipe title to make them more interesting and appealing to the judges.  It worked!  I won several blue ribbons with this recipe and have been making them ever since.  In July of 2019 I helped my granddaughter, Abbi make them for her first 4-H fair recipe and she too won a blue ribbon!!



Family Favorite Oatmeal Cookies
½ c. shortening
1 c. brown sugar
1 egg
½ t. vanilla
½ t. baking soda
¼ t. salt
1 c. flour
1 c. oatmeal
Chocolate chips, nuts or coconut (optional)
Cream together shortening & sugar.  Add egg & vanilla. Mix. Sift in dry ingredients. Mix. Add oatmeal and mix well.  Add chocolate chips, nuts or coconut as desired.   I usually add chocolate chips and coconut. Mix well.  Drop onto sprayed cookie sheet.  Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.  Makes 18 cookies – ok to double it.  

No comments:

Lacey Making Teddy Bear Cookies