Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Yogurt by Loralyn

Karla,
Here is how I make yogurt, I hope it works for you. It always turns out for me.

1. Clean out your pan with hot soapy water and the lid and use a different seal that I save for desserts and yogurt. This helps it not have a smell that contaminates the yogurt.
2. Pour a new gallon of whole milk directly into the pan. The further the expiration date is the longer the yogurt keeps in the fridge.
3. Press yogurt and then adjust until the screen says "boil". I turn the pressure gauge to closed (SEALING) to help heat it up.
4. When it beeps wash the instant read thermometer and then check the temp. It is really important to not contaminate it after it has boiled. If it reads at least 176 degrees then it is ready for the next step. I usually have to do this step 2-3 times to get the temp up. It is much easier than stirring it over the stove to keep it from scorching for a long time, like I did before.  (I only had to push the button once - but it took about 1 hour to get it to that temperature.)
5. When it reaches temp. I add 1/2 cup of agave light nectar (you can use sugar but this makes it less glycemic) and 1 TBSp. of vanilla. Stir. (I usually skip this step and flavor at the end before I put it in my jars.)
6. Then I put the pan directly in a sink with ice water about half way up the pan. Use the instant read thermometer to check it until it reaches 120 degrees exactly. Then take it out dry off the bottom. (Some suggest 110 to 115 degrees, so as not to kill the live cultures)
7. Add less than half a container of Tillamook 6 oz. french vanilla yogurt (1/2c.). More is not better if you add too much the finished product is runny. Stir it in until dissolved then put it back in the instant pot. Put lid on SEALING or VENTING it doesn't matter.  Press yogurt and then the arrows to add time. It does 8 hours automatically. I like it better when I do it for 11 hours. Then leave it.
8. When it is done I don't stir it. I skim liquid off with a ladle and then just scoop it into wide mouth quart jars, put the lid on and put it in the fridge. It sets up a little more when it chills. That is it!

My kids like to add jam to it when they eat it. We love making fruit parfaits with granola. It is a great fast breakfast and so much better for them than cold cereal. My kids don't all tolerate milk very well. But they can handle the yogurt much better. The yogurt keeps a while in the fridge.

Good luck!
Let me know if yours turn out!
Loralyn


Lauretta shared some of her tips with me....

She flavors her yogurt with Kool-aid, 2 packages + 2 c. sugar.  She adds this at the very end before putting it in jars.  You could skip step 5 of Loralyn's directions and flavor at the end.  I actually did both, and it turned out great.

Her favorite flavors are:
Black Cherry
Lemonade
Strawberry Lemonade
Lime
Orange
Pineapple

Sometimes she uses the tubes of filling from Smart Foodservice.




No comments:

Lacey Making Teddy Bear Cookies