Thursday, July 19, 2012

Cake Mix Add Ins.....

My nephew, Josh turned 21 on July 4th. My sister, Kristen called me and asked me if I would make him a birthday cake, since they were in the middle of moving and then coming here for the Atkinson Reunion.  She told me he wanted chocolate  fudge cake with chocolate ice cream filling and chocolate frosting, now that's a triple chocolate cake for sure.  Well, as I was getting ready to make the frosting Kristen called to say Josh would not be coming with them after all.  So, I decided I would just save the cake for Katie's birthday on the 7th.  Well, since that was the last day of the reunion I thought afterwards we could come home and celebrate  with cake because I couldn't take an ice cream cake up there because it wouldn't fit in my freezer.  But that afternoon Katie told me she had to leave shortly because her friends were taking her somewhere for a birthday surprise.  By this time the cake had her name on it and everything!  Well yesterday (July 18th) was Kasey's birthday, so I scraped off the "tie" from Katie and added "sey" and it became KASEY's cake.  And this time we finally ate it!  It was very yummy!  Lately it seems that cake mix cakes are really small and flat.  Marcia had recently told me how her niece adds extra ingredients to her cakes.  So I decided to try it  and see if I could make it a taller cake.  It worked out perfectly!!  Here is what I did......

Cake Mix Add Ins
1 cake mix and the ingredients listed on the package
then add:
1 additional egg
1 c. sugar
1 c. flour
1 c. sour cream
Mix as directed.  It will take about 10 to 15 minutes longer to bake.

ANOTHER VERSION.......
1 cake mix
then add 1 or 2 more eggs than the box says
Replace the oil with melted butter & double the amount
Replace the water with the same amount of milk

No comments:

Lacey Making Teddy Bear Cookies